In the world of no carbs, this recipe is perfect. Truly. Perfect. Perfect and satisfying, I’m telling you, you will never miss the dough. Zucchini is available year round but especially in the summer, the stores seem to overflow with the stuff. This recipe idea is certainly not original to me as it’s all over over Pinterest, but the recipe is mine. I’ve made these as appetizers too, and they are super satisfying and savory good.
After the veggies are done, remove them and throw in a pound of chicken sweet Italian sausage. I get mine from Henry’s. Cook till it’s brown and crumbled up.
You’ll need to scrap the seeds out of the centers of each zucchini. Think of a canoe, and go with it. Then season with a little olive oil salt and pepper.
Now for all the pizza toppings!
I used parmesan cheese but honestly, next time I’ll go with an Italian blend or just mozzarella.
Dinner is served! Maybe add a nice salad to complete the meal.
- 4 medium zucchini
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- 1 pound chicken sweet italian sausage, browned and crumbled
- ½ white onion, sautéed
- ½ red bell pepper, sautéed
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for the pan
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds along the centers.
- Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Top with toppings in this order:
- sautéed onion and pepper
- ground sausage
- a little italian seasoning
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until tender and the cheese is melted and golden.