Here’s a yummy recipe for waffles that won’t leave you feeling guilty about having carbs for breakfast. I mean sometimes ya just need a little something different for breakfast, you know what I mean? Something to break up the monotony.
Add the bran mix with the vanilla and butter and egg yolks, to the dry ingredients and mix. Then add the whipped egg whites. Most good waffle recipes call for the egg whites to be beaten until fluffy. This makes for a fluffy waffle!
THE MISSING PICTURE OF ADDING A CUP OF SOUR CREAM and TWO CUPS MILK TO THE BATTER. You get the picture right?
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup wheat bran, soaked in 1 cup milk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 T. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl until medium stiff peaks form, set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the flours, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix.
- Add the milk, bran soaked in milk, vanilla, egg yolks, sour cream, vanilla, and melted butter to the flour mix. Mix until just blended.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Scoop 1 cup of batter into the waffle iron and let cook according to the manufacturers instructions.
- Serve with apple butter or maple syrup and fruit.