Husband has been sniffling and coughing for a couple weeks so I thought I’d tackle it by making him some homemade soup. I like to start with an already roasted chicken from Barons. It doesn’t get any easier and they slow roast them and the taste is yummy. So first I debone it and put the bones, skin and all into the pot. Fill it with water and some other yummy things and simmer for at least an hour. Here’s the full recipe!
Three essentials for good soup; bay leaf, parsley and thyme. Throw it in.
After an hour or patiently sift out all the goodness (bones skin and veg).
I make lots of soups but when I’m sick, I like small bits of veggies not huge chunks. Easy and comforting to eat. For this soup I finely diced butternut squash, carrot, celery and kale.
Take some of that yummy shredded chicken, just as much as you like in it and go for it!
Pasta is a must and the littler the better.
And there it is! Golden delicious, and oh so good for you. Oh, turns out Husband only had allergies, but the soup was good all the same.
- 1 store bought roasted chicken, deboned
- 2 bayleaves
- 2 T. dried parsley
- 1T. dried thyme
- 4 carrots peeled and diced small
- 1 small butternut squash diced small
- 3 ribs celery, diced small
- ½ bunch kale finely chopped
- 1 cup small star pasta
- salt and pepper to taste
- To the prepared chicken stock add the shredded chicken and vegetables.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add pasta and simmer on low for another 5 minutes